Friday, May 31, 2013

My Social Media Battles: Spoilers

Oh, man, I hate them. Spoilers. When you are excited about a TV show or a contest, you anticipate watching it, and then you go to Facebook and read about things that you want to know FROM that show or contest and not from people who have watched it way ahead of you. 

Timezone sucks. I understand that some of my friends are from another country (hence, timezone) and I am sure they are excited to post something that they just watched. The problem is, it would be a few more days before I, from Asia, gets to watch it.

Take for example, one of my favorite shows, The Walking Dead. It was a while before it took off and people started watching and talking about it. I believe in my heart that I was one of the early audiences who threw her doubts about a show on zombies, and got hooked way before others found out about the show. And suddenly, the spoilers started pouring in.

I get to watch the show every Saturdays on Fox. That's the official TV airing in my part of the world. But TWD can be streamed on the net, as early as the Monday before my Saturday. 

Ah the worst part. When people started posting spoilers on Facebook, I became unexcited to watch. Like, since I know something about the coming episode, I've become disinterested. Like I have convinced myself that I don't really care much about the show, just so I won't be angry about the spoilers. Because of this, there were times that it was OKAY for me to miss episodes. That was sad. Because its become a part of my Saturday, which was now ruined.

I can objectively look at a spoiler and realize that the person who posted it was just excited or affected about the episode. What really gets me so mad are posts that are just meant to SPOIL. Like just so they can declare to the world that "I JUST WATCHED IT".

Spoiler Example 1: "I'm so sad. What will happen to Daryl now?!"
Spoiler Example 2: "Carol is alive. Michonne is in the prison."

Example 1, is a spoiler for me but I can understand what brought it on. Apparently, something will happen or has happened to Daryl (that in itself, is a spoiler) and this person is sad about it. Fine.

Example 2, I mean, WTF?! I don't understand anything else, I only know that the only purpose I can think of for this person to post this, is to SPOIL. That's it. To ruin the anticipation of others. To basically, show off. You are not a newscaster. Stop broadcasting stuff that no one asked you to.

Example 2 spoilers, those are the ones that really get me mad. I know, I know, it's YOUR wall and you can write anything on it. 

But is it wrong to expect people to be considerate? I guess it is. As someone said to me, you cannot expect people to be like you. To think like you. 

So in the battle against spoilers on Facebook, I concede. You win. I will deal with my disappointment on my own. Someday, it's possible. The spoiler thing.... it could bite you in the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment