Monday, May 20, 2013

Memories of a Childhood Part 1 - reposting an old blog from 2012


1. Wonder Boy - raise your hand if you remember this chicheria (snack). I remember buying this from my grade school's meal tray and breaking it to little pieces before eating them. This snack has different logos; all showing Wonder Boy riding different types of spaceship.



2. KISS - remember collecting these tiny fragrant balls and stuffing them in cotton so that they could produce more tiny kisses?



3. Carebears Sticker album - I had one back when I was in grade school. You'd buy the album and then you'd buy the stickers separately. You're lucky if all of the stickers you got in one pack are used because sometimes you'd get duplicates of ones you already have. Then the fridge would get them. Hehe.



4. My Salt N Pepa cassette tape - I loved this album! It had every song I liked. Shoop, None of Your Business, What A Man, etc. Before your Nicki Minaj, we had our Salt N Pepa.



5. I forgot the name of the snack but there used to be a chicheria (snack) that had cheese curls in it and free stuff like small toy soldiers, toy rings and best of all, sometimes they have money! One tme I was able to get five pesos (small green five peso bill)  from it. Haaay, those were good times.



6. Eng-Nga in Sta. Ana Manila - this was a classic place in Plaza Hugo, Sta Ana that serves miki-bihon and gising-gising. My dad and his brothers and their friends used to hang out here. Sometimes old people just come and chat w
ith other old people, sando and pamaypay and all. Eng Nga has been closed for a while now.


7. Makati Sanitary's pancit - I'm not a big pancit fan but I remember this place because of my Dad. My dad used to bring home pancit from Makati Sanitary every payday when I was still a kid up until in grade school, I think. They had huge servings of pancit per order. He would buy two orders, one miki-bihon because he likes it and one order of pancit bihon because my sister likes it. Me, I usually just get some from both.



I'm a 90's baby. I grew up listening to rappers in colorful outfits, grew up in Sta. Ana Manila, supported the Wednesday group of That's Entertainment. I like those years, they were free from worry and everyone was creative.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I meant Starkist, ito yong may yellow na packaging.

      Delete
  2. "Pinoy" that's the name of the snack with freebies inside.

    ReplyDelete